Here we host our Minus Malaria Initiative toolkits. The materials and information contained within the toolkits are meant to facilitate the various activities MMI groups engage in, including starting up an MMI-dedicated group, putting together a campaign, fundraising, and reaching out to surrounding communities. Download all the toolkits, some of them, or just parts of them. Each item can stand by itself or be used in conjunction with the others.
Group Building Toolkit - This toolkit contains tips to help you build a group of students dedicated to MMI and global health.
Malaria Education Toolkit – The contents of this toolkit provides information to inform your group and others about malaria and its burden, as well as tips about how to approach malaria education in your group and community.
- Getting Started with Malaria Education- a guide about malaria education, why it’s important and how to go about it
- The Basics of Malaria - a PowerPoint presentation to educate your group about malaria
- Quick Facts about Malaria – a sheet with basic facts
- Staying Informed About Malaria – tips on staying up-to-date about malaria
- Malaria Coloring Book-Storybook - A story with pictures for coloring in that can be used to educate children about malaria. This is best used for community events or for events where you have families come. Print copies and distribute them free to children to teach them about malaria. After learning about malaria, they’ll likely want to donate money for bednets to help prevent it. (Note: The document is set up such that if you print using the double-sided pages feature on a printer, you can then fold the pages in half such that you construct a book. Feel free to use this book as a sample for creating your own book.)
Campaign Building Toolkit
- Campaign Development Guide - Here you’ll find tips on creating an anti-malaria campaign, including event ideas and planning reminders.
- Table Tent Template
- Community Outreach Guide – A collection of tips on expanding your efforts to the community surrounding your campus.
- Fundraising Tips – A list of ideas and tips for fundraising, including a sample fundraising letter to send out to people to collect donations.
Knitting for Nets Toolkit - A toolkit with material to replicate Alison Case’s anti-malaria campaign, which sold scarves knitted by her school’s knitting club to raise money for bednets. Alison won the Social Innovators Award from Americans for Informed Democracy (AID) for her campaign. Learn about Alison’s campaign at https://www.depauw.edu/news/index.asp?id=22158.
- A handout describing the Minus Malaria Initiative – you can use this for your own reference or for to handout to others
- Voices of Malaria - A collection of testimonials about living in a malaria endemic area from women in the Acholi Quarter of Kampala, Uganda. You can display these an events, use them to educate yourselves and others, or use them in any other way that seems appropriate.